Friday, February 28, 2014

OUCH, What Big Spines You Have!

I was leisurely strolling thru the rainforest this afternoon, watching fireflies (lightning bugs) blink on and off and listening to the howler monkeys howl.  It’s a good thing that I was watching where I was walking because I came very close to this black palm tree trunk covered with long, black spines. 


These spines would definitely pierce through my field pants and maybe even my hiking boots.  I’m sure that I would get a nasty infection if some of these spines broke off in my skin.  It reminded me that I always need to look around when I’m hiking in the rainforest to avoid dangers.  These spines are a defense mechanism for the black palm to protect its fruit and seeds. If I were a rainforest animal who eats seeds, I would definitely think twice before scurrying up this tree trunk to get some yummy seeds. 



Notice in this other photo that Dr. Jackie Willis took that this monkey seems to be sitting very close to the spines of this black palm tree while eating its fruits.  I guess, in this case the fruits were just so enticing, that the monkey was willing to take his chances with the spines.  I know that I will stay as far away from any black palm trunks that I see on future rainforest hikes!

- Fran Zakutansky

No comments: